Known for its rich history, oceanside views, and coastal New England charm, Newport, Rhode Island is an ideal getaway for travelers of all ages. Newport camping in particular is a seaside alternative to typical forest adventures. Looking for a spot to set up camp and enjoy what Newport has to offer? The following are some popular parks and campgrounds in the area.
- Second Beach Family Campground: Sachuest Beach, also known as Second Beach, is a mile-long beach on Rhode Island’s shore. Outdoor lovers looking to soak in this seaside atmosphere can stay at Second Beach Family Campground in Middletown. As a popular surfing location, Second Beach is a perfect spot to set up camp and spend the rest of your time by the ocean.
- Brenton Point State Park: This destination offers the best of Newport, RI camping. Brenton Point is tucked between the Narragansett Bay and the Atlantic, displaying Newport’s nautical diversity. Across the stretch of recreational green space, you can spot kites flying in the seaside breeze. Just beyond this lawn, the ocean starts with a rocky shore. Wake up early to catch the sunrise or enjoy a sunny day traversing these rocks.
- Fort Adams State Park: For campers looking to be surrounded by water, Fort Adams State Park sits beside Newport Harbor . Guests can take a dip in the ocean, try their hand at sailing, or fish off the shore. You can also learn more about the history of the site during the park’s daily tours.
- Fort Getty Campground: Situated in nearby Jamestown, RI, this campground is a coastal haven for those looking to boat, explore, and relax by the sea. While Fort Getty does have a tent camping area, it is primarily for RV campers. Have a picnic by the rocky shore and enjoy the salt water breezes all season long.
- Melville Ponds Campground: Newport’s visitors can make a stop on Aquidneck Island to enjoy this family-friendly campground. This wooded campground shows the fresh water side of the Newport Area. You can enjoy fishing, hiking, horseshoes and other activities. Melville Ponds is just 5 miles from the ocean, so just take a short drive to get your salt water fix.
No matter what type of Newport, RI camping suits you, each site is only a short jaunt away from history, cuisine, shopping. This seaside escape is sure to ease your mind and offer the best of Rhode Island’s charm.