Today komoot, the leading customizable outdoor inspiration app, announced that it has launched in the U.S. after successfully becoming Europe¹s number one outdoor inspiration app. Komoot is backed with seed funding from KRW Schindler Private Ventures with Philipp Schindler (VP at Google) as cornerstone investor. Komoot 6.0 is now available in the U.S. on iOS, Android, smartwatch and web.
“While there are mapping apps available, komoot is the first platform to offer a one-stop-shop for outdoor inspiration. Komoot goes far beyond maps and routing with turn-by-turn navigation, smartwatch compatibility, extensive user preference profiles and social media components,” said Markus Hallermann, CEO and founder of komoot. “As an outdoor enthusiast, one of the most common things I hear is that mapping technologies and inspiration within apps are subpar. With komoot, we are changing the way users are inspired and navigated through their outdoor experiences.”
Komoot solves the problem of “where to go” for anyone who wants to enjoy the outdoors by suggesting personalized outdoor activities and trails. Komoot’s key asset is being the only app that combines user social data with geolocational data in a continuously growing database for delivering individualized recommendations. Users can plan and route any trail or bike tour customized by fitness level and komoot provides you with information about the route¹s elevation changes, road type, duration and more.
Komoot automatically syncs across multiple devices from web to smartphones and smartwatches, to enable turn-by-turn trail navigation and inspiration at all times. Users can also follow outdoor enthusiasts for inspiration based on location and can share photos and comments throughout the outdoor experience with social media, friends and other komoot users.
“From the geo-coding mapping technology to the inspirational component and smartwatch compatibility, komoot is doing something other apps have yet to do through proprietary technology,” said Florian Schindler, Partner at KRW Schindler Private Ventures. “We believe that komoot is satisfying a need within the outdoor community and that it will expand far beyond its current offering. In the US alone, over 140 million people cycle, hike, run and climb which nets in an estimated 500m global user potential for komoot.”
- Smartwatch compatibility: stay connected with trail navigation through turn-by-turn signals on your smartwatch (Android, Samsung and Apple watch in 2015)
- Maps: Proprietary mapping technology only available on komoot and allows its users to plan, route and navigate with ease.
- Inspiration: swipe through images of trails and outdoor routes that fit with your custom preferences for inspiration on where to go next such as personal history, weather and preferences
- Turn-by-turn voice navigation: even in the woods, offline maps
- Use-case optimized routing, geo-coding, information: difficulty, characteristics & destinations
- Highlights: Point out and share awesome spots. Feature your favorite places by simply tapping on your tour route.
Logo courtesy Komoot