U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA) Chairman W. Dexter Paine has been selected by International Ski Federation as a member of its FIS Council. Paine was named at the 49th International Ski Congress in Barcelona, Spain. He has been chairman of the USSA, the highest elected position in U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association, since 2006. He was president of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Team Foundation, the fundraising arm of the team, from 2002-2006. He will succeed retired USSA President and CEO Bill Marolt, who has served on the FIS Counci since 2002. Paine was also elected to a FIS Vice President position to fill a vacant spot after Marolt’s departure.
- The International Ski Federation has selected U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association Chairman W. Dexter Paine to serve on its FIS Council.
- Paine has served as the chairman of the USSA since 2006. Prior to that he was president of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Team Foundation, the team’s fundraising arm, from 2002-2006.
- He succeeds Bill Marolt, who recently retired as president and CEO of the USSA, who had served on the FIS Council and as a FIS Vice President, since 2002.
- The selection of the 17-member FIS Council, including the President plus 16 members, was made by a full vote of the delegates at the 49th FIS Congress in Barcelona, Spain.
- Paine was also elected to a FIS Vice President position.
- A lifelong skier, Paine grew up in New Hampshire and is a graduate of Williams College in Massachusetts where he was a member of the alpine ski team.
- Paine also serves on the executive committee for the 2015 FIS World Alpine Ski Championships in Vail/Beaver Creek.
- In his private career, Paine is chairman and CEO of Paine & Partners, a New York based investment management firm that works primarily in the food and agribusiness sectors, with a strong presence in Europe.
- The FIS Congress also named Marolt an honorary member of the FIS Council. He joins fellow American and 1988-2002 FIS Council member Hank Tauber as an honorary member.
Dexter Paine, USSA Chairman and member FIS Council – “I really appreciate the opportunity to be nominated by the USSA for FIS Council and look forward to contributing to the continued success of the FIS in the future.”
Bill Marolt, former USSA President and CEO and honorary member FIS Council – “It has been a great honor for me to serve as a FIS Council member and Vice President for the past 12 years. I would like to thank all of my FIS friends for their support and counsel through the years. I have had a productive tenure serving as a Council member through the Congress in Barcelona and appreciate the support of Dexter Paine as our Council nominee.”
Janez Kocijancic, FIS Council (nominating Bill Marolt as an honorary member) – “People like Bill Marolt make our organization great, contributing to the general success of skiing in the world.”
Image courtesy U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association