Travel to unforgettable destinations with REI Adventures. The global leader in guided active adventure travel has released its 2014 line-up of once-in-a-lifetime experiences to the world’s most classic travel destinations.
“From Croatia to Iceland, Portugal to New Zealand or close to home, REI Adventures offers guests extraordinary local access to the most popular places around the globe,” said Cynthia Dunbar, REI Adventures manager. “Travelers choosing to stay a little longer through one of our robust trip extensions will maximize their time in-country to explore some of the lesser-known areas each destination holds.”
Whether enjoyed by foot or bike, Europe’s legendary cities, markets, art and architecture have a lasting impression. Guests will explore timeless landscapes and historic sites, and have meaningful cultural interactions with each place, its peoples and cuisines.
- Set-off on a week of unforgettable hiking along Portugal’s wild Atlantic coast with the Portugal Coastal Hiking Adventure. Travel from culture-rich Lisbon to sun-drenched Algarve to Europe’s most well-preserved coastline and the famed Rota Vincentina, also known as Fisherman’s Trail. REI Adventures is one of the first US-based outfitters to offer trips along the Fisherman’s Trail route.
- Experience rural Croatia with the Croatia Cycling Adventure. Guests ride through four spectacular national parks, venture to the walled port city of Zadar, and hop a ferry to bicycle Ugljan and Pasman Islands with deep blue Adriatic Sea views.
- The Czech Republic Hiking Adventure takes travelers from Vienna to Prague to soak in the castle-filled countryside, explore the UNESCO World Heritage towns of Telc and Cesky Krumlov, and toast with fine vintages from the Moravian wine country.
- Explore Iceland’s winter wonders during an adventure that includes a soothing geothermal-heated blue lagoon, whale-watching, lava tube caving, glacier walk and, of course, the Aurora Borealis.
Explore New Zealand in a New Way
Recently improved cycling routes are driving an influx of enthusiasts to the rugged and beautiful South Island. REI’s South Island Cycling tour takes riders from the Southern Alps to the Pacific Ocean through a route of challenging hills, award-winning wine tasting, and friendly Kiwi hospitality with accommodations in a refurbished mansion, old frontier hotels and a homestay. Guests can extend their stay with an overnight cruise on breathtaking Milford Sound.
Stay Longer, Play Longer
New trip extensions provide travelers the opportunity to cross a “bucket-list” experience off their list and get off-the-beaten-path to explore the road less traveled at an excellent value.
- Go beyond Machu Picchu with one of four new Peru extensions, including the Lost Ruins of Northern Peru to the country’s most spectacular and well-preserved archaeological sites with lost cities, giant pyramids, tattooed mummies and royal tombs.
- Extend a classic Himalayan trek with a safari in Chitwan National Park and view exotic wildlife such as rhinos, Bengal tigers, sloth bears and leopards.
- Explore Victoria Falls after an East or South African adventure. Take a walking tour of the largest waterfall on Earth; search for rhinos, elephants and buffalo on daily game drives; enjoy a scenic sunset cruise on the Zambezi River; and spend two nights in a deluxe tented camp on the banks of the Zambezi.
Home is Where the Hike is
Travelers looking for a quick trip close to home will enjoy the new Lake Tahoe Paddleboarding and Hiking adventure. The perfect weekend escape, guests will paddle along the glass-like Crystal Bay past gigantic granite boulders, hike portions of the Tahoe Rim and Pacific Crest trails, explore the sandy beaches of Lake Tahoe and camp surrounded by the natural beauty of the Sierras.
Win the Trip of a Lifetime
From September 20 through October 31, adventurers have the chance every day to enter to win a trip for two on one of REI Adventures’ most popular trips across on each of the world’s seven continents, including Croatia, the Everest region of Nepal, the Galapagos, Zion National Park, Botswana, Australia and Antarctica. For more information and to enter, visit rei.com/trips.
Logo courtesy REI