First Descents, a Denver-based non-profit providing free outdoor adventures to young adults fighting and surviving cancer, is headed to Vail Mountain on March 9th to participate in the annual Pink Vail event. Pink Vail is the world’s biggest ski day benefitting cancer survivorship. All proceeds directly benefit “Spirit of Survival” a survivorship program that includes free fitness classes, nutrition coaching, emotional support, and outdoor programs for cancer patients and survivors at Shaw Regional Cancer Center.
“This is a wonderful event for Team First Descents to be a part of,” says Erin Kelly, Team First Descents Coordinator. “The Pink Vail event directly aligns with what we are all about here at First Descents. We are excited to see our team out there with other participants all shooting for one goal.”
Date: Saturday, March 9, 2013
Time: Day-of registration opens at 8:30 AM
Location: Vail Mountain & The Arrabelle at Vail Square in Lionshead
- 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM SKI/RIDE down a “pink-ified” mountain in support of Shaw Regional Cancer Center. Everyone must have a ski pass/lift ticket and sign a Pink Vail Release Form to participate.
- 10:00 AM – 2:30 PM PARTICIPATE in the Checkpoint Challenge and Pink Vail Poker — check in at five famous Vail decks to be eligible for great prizes and/or grab a Pink Vail Poker card at each location and play your hand at Pink Vail Base Camp for a chance at incredible prizes.
- 3:00 – 4:00 PM JOIN the Celebration Ski Down. Cancer survivors, family, friends, and those skiing in honor of a loved one ski together toVail Square.
- 4:00 – 5:00 PM CHEER ON & TOAST cancer survivors, family, friends, and those skiing in honor of a loved one as they make their way into the Cheer Zone at Pink Vail Base Camp. Grab a Pink Vail cowbell and a glass of Crazy Mountain Brewery’s Pink Vail Fruit Ale and make some noise!
- 5:00 PM PARTY at the base of the Eagle Bahn Gondola with food, drink, prizes, and a FREE concert by Charlie Mars, open to the public.
If you would like to join Team First Descents go here and donate. All money raised through Team First Descents will go towards sending a Shaw Cancer Center patient to a First Descents Program.
First Descents is a non-profit organization offering young adults with cancer a free week-long outdoor adventure experience designed to empower them to climb, paddle and surf beyond their diagnosis, defy their cancer, reclaim their lives and connect with others doing the same.
Image courtesy Outside Media