Get Outdoors in Michigan and Enjoy Lantern-Lit Cross-Country Skiing at Cheboygan State Park

    Cheboygan State Park, located at4490 Beach Road in Cheboygan County, will sponsor a Go Get Outdoors evening of Lantern-Lit Cross-Country Skiing and Hiking from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 28. The event will begin at the park trailhead off Seffern Road where skiers will find approximately 1.8 miles of groomed and track-set trails lit every 50 feet by lanterns.

    Participants can warm up to a bonfire at the trailhead before starting out. Another bonfire, snacks and hot chocolate will be provided at 14 Foot Shoals Cabin located near the halfway point on the trail. Snowshoers and hikers are welcome to participate but are requested to keep to the opposite side of the groomed ski tracks.

    The event will take place weather permitting, and interested participants should call ahead to confirm there is adequate snowfall at the park. The telephone number for Cheboygan State Park is 231-627-2811.

    Cheboygan State Park, located two miles southeast of Cheboygan on US-23, is open throughout the winter for skiing. Several rustic cabins are available for winter lodging. Reservations can be obtained by calling 800-447-2757 or online at

    The lantern-lit ski event is free of charge; however, a Recreation Passport is required for vehicles entering the state park.  The Recreation Passport has replaced motor vehicle permits for entry into Michigan state parks, recreation areas and state-administered boating access fee sites. This new way to fund Michigan’s outdoor recreation opportunities also helps to preserve state forest campgrounds, trails, and historic and cultural sites in state parks, and provides park development grants to local communities.

    Michigan residents can purchase the Recreation Passport ($10 for motor vehicles; $5 for motorcycles) by checking “YES” on their license plate renewal forms, or at any state park or recreation area. Nonresident motor vehicles must still display a valid nonresident Recreation Passport ($29 annual; $8 daily) to enter a Michigan state park, recreation area or state-administered boating access fee site; these can be purchased at any state park or recreation area, or through the Michigan e-Store at To learn more about the Recreation Passport, visit or call 517-241-7275.

    The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state’s natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to

    Planning your next Camping trip? Start your search at

    Share This Article