Go on the Prowl for Owls During Nature Hikes at Five Michigan State Parks

    Have you ever heard a real owl hoot or seen one up close? If not, the Department of Natural Resources has the nature hike for you. Join one of the Owl Prowls taking place at five Michigan state parks at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 3. The locations include: Maybury State Park in Northville, Brighton Recreation Area in Brighton, Eddy Discovery Center at Waterloo Recreation Area in Chelsea, Hayes State Park in Onsted and Sleepy Hollow State Park in Laingsburg.

    Join a park naturalist for a 30-45 minute walk through the woods. Listen as the owls are called and see if they respond. See if you can spot some on their perches. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes and dress for the weather. After the program, a bonfire with a marshmallow roast will take place at all the parks with the exception of the Eddy Discovery Center at Waterloo.

    The Owl Prowls will meet at various locations within the parks that, in some cases, might be more easily accessed by roads other than the park’s main entrance:

    • Maybury Owl Prowl, which is sponsored by the Friends of Maybury, will take place at the concession building off the 8 Mile Road entrance just west of Beck Road.
    • The Brighton event will meet at the Sandhill Shelter at the Bishop Lake Day Use Area. ·The Waterloo Owl Prowl will begin at the Eddy Discovery Center.
    • Hayes State Park will hold the event at the Activities Area in the campground.
    • The Sleepy Hollow group will meet at the East Picnic Area.

    All the events will take place rain or shine. Bring something to drink, a roasting stick if you have one and a great outdoor or nature story to share. Pre-registration is not required. For details, call 734-787-0062 or email [email protected].

    The Recreation Passport has replaced motor vehicle permits for entry into Michigan state parks, recreation areas and state-administered boating access fee sites. This new way to fund Michigan’s outdoor recreation opportunities also helps to preserve state forest campgrounds, trails, and historic and cultural sites in state parks, and provides park development grants to local communities.

    Michigan residents can purchase the Recreation Passport ($10 for motor vehicles; $5 for motorcycles) by checking “YES” on their license plate renewal forms, or at any state park or recreation area. Nonresident motor vehicles must still display a valid nonresident Recreation Passport ($29 annual; $8 daily) to enter a Michigan state park, recreation area or state-administered boating access fee site; these can be purchased at any state park or recreation area, or through the Michigan e-Store at To learn more about the Recreation Passport, visit or call 517-241-7275.

    The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state’s natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to

    Planning your next Camping trip? Start your search at

    Share This Article