Mountain & Trail News

    Friends of Maybury State Park in Michigan to Host Annual Picnic Oct. 9

    The Friends of Maybury State Park in Wayne County will sponsor its second annual Family Picnic at 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 9 at the park located at 20145 Beck Rd. in Northville. The picnic will take place at the Concession Building, which is located off the 8 Mile Road entrance.

    The event that celebrates the end of a great summer and the beginning of fall will offer guided and self-directed hikes of the nature trail that will leave the building at 5 p.m.

    Dinner is scheduled for 6 p.m. The Friends group will provide the main entrée and bottled water. Those attending should bring a dish to pass, dinner service and a favorite beverage. The picnic will be held rain or shine.

    Friends groups are nonprofit organizations that assist parks and other public lands by fundraising, recruiting volunteers and leading restoration projects and other events. Anyone wishing to learn more about the Friends of Maybury State Park is welcome to attend the picnic. Park staff also will be on hand to meet, greet and answer questions.

    Reservations are required by Friday, Oct. 7. Call George McCarthy, president of the Friends of Maybury, at 248-347-0899 or email [email protected]. Last minute drop-in guests will be welcome.

    To learn more about the group’s activities, visit

    A Recreation Passport is required for vehicles entering Maybury State Park. The Recreation Passport has replaced motor vehicle permits for entry into Michigan state parks, recreation areas and state-administered boating access fee sites. This new way to fund Michigan’s outdoor recreation opportunities also helps to preserve state forest campgrounds, trails, and historic and cultural sites in state parks, and provides park development grants to local communities.

    Michigan residents can purchase the Recreation Passport ($10 for motor vehicles; $5 for motorcycles) by checking “YES” on their license plate renewal forms, or at any state park or recreation area. Nonresident motor vehicles must still display a valid nonresident Recreation Passport ($29 annual; $8 daily) to enter a Michigan state park, recreation area or state-administered boating access fee site; these can be purchased at any state park or recreation area, or through the Michigan e-Store at To learn more about the Recreation Passport, visit or call 517-241-7275.

    The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state’s natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to

    Planning your next Camping trip? Start your search at

    Share This Article