Mountain & Trail News

    Treat Your Dog to a Holiday at Hayes State Park’s Canine Carnival Sept. 10 in Michigan

    Spend the day with your best friend during the annual Canine Carnival taking place from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10, at Hayes State Park in Lenawee County.

    Scheduled events beginning at 10:30 a.m. include Simon Says, Musical Dog House and demonstrations. In the afternoon pets can compete for prizes in contests such as Longest Tail, Shortest Tail, Smallest and Largest Dog. Dogs and their owners can enter the dog/owner look-alike contest (no costumes) as well as a costume contest.

    An agility course and a cooperation course will be open throughout the day for dogs to try. The event is all about dogs and their owners, but the games and activities are fun for spectators to watch.

    For details, call Hayes State Park at 517-467-7401.

    Hayes State Park is located at 1220 Wamplers Lake Rd. in Onsted. Reservations for camping can be made by calling 800-44-PARKS, or on-line at

    The event is free; however, all vehicles entering Hayes State Park are required to have a Recreation Passport. The Recreation Passport has replaced motor vehicle permits for entry into Michigan state parks, recreation areas and state-administered boating access fee sites. This new way to fund Michigan’s outdoor recreation opportunities also helps to preserve state forest campgrounds, trails and historic and cultural sites in state parks, and provides park development grants to local communities.

    Michigan residents can purchase the Recreation Passport ($10 for motor vehicles; $5 for motorcycles) by checking “YES” on their license plate renewal forms, or at any state park or recreation area. Nonresident motor vehicles must still display a valid nonresident Recreation Passport ($29 annual; $8 daily) to enter a Michigan state park, recreation area or state-administered boating access fee site; these can be purchased at any state park or recreation area, or through the Michigan e-Store at To learn more about the Recreation Passport, visit or call (517) 241-7275.

    The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state’s natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to

    Planning your next Camping trip? Start your search at

    Share This Article