prAna is an ancient Sanskrit word for breath, life and vitality of the spirit. We are honored to borrow this word as our company name, as it lifts our aspirations and helps guide our actions towards a socially mindful and environmentally sustainable organization.
We started back in 1993 in Carlsbad, California and we continue to grow and resonate with like- minded people; climbers, surfers, athletes of all flavors, yogis, artists and free spirited folks around the world.
Our apparel and accessories are thoughtfully designed and built to last, for sport, life, travel and adventure. It is our hope that when people wear prAna, they can feel the intention and passion that is woven into everything we make and everything we do.
Overview of the Position & Key Areas of Accountability:
The Product Developer is responsible for the overall execution and development of a specified set of products, from concept through production. She/he collaborates with the Product Development Manager, Tech Design, Design and Production teams to execute product initiatives utilizing creative thinking and problem solving skills. The Product Developer coordinates the fabric/trim/supplier sourcing, data management, construction, fit, quality, and costing which results in the commercial execution of technical outerwear. She/he manages and reports on the development of their category as it relates to the calendar, product quality, margin, and delivery for all sales channels. The Product Developer performs at an independent, self-directed level with the ability to handle daily decisions.
Areas of Accountability and Tasks:
- In collaboration with Design, Merchandising, Product Development Manager and Production team, executes the sourcing of fabrics, trims, construction technology and vendor base to support prAna’s vision, sourcing strategy and product requirements.
- Communicates daily with our domestic & international vendors to enhance prAna’s sourcing strategy, creating respectful, symbiotic relationships for combined growth.
- Continually assesses vendor base to allocate appropriately based on strengths, quality, capacity, delivery and MOQ.
- Sources fabrics & trims to ensure costs, MOQ, lead-times and technical qualities are met per Design’s intentions.
- Sets meetings with key vendors and suppliers throughout season and at trade shows.
- Participates in post-seasonal vendor evaluations with Design, Product Development, Tech Design and Production teams.
- Upholds prAna’s Environmental Health & Safety program and its impacts on our daily decision-making, the suppliers we work with, social compliance, and our consumer.
Manages the product lifecycle T&A of specified product categories based on prAna’s development calendar and collaborates with Design, Merchandising, Product Development, Tech Design and Production teams to achieve commercial viability of designs.
- Proactively communicates deadlines with internal (Design, Merchandising, Product Development, Tech Design, Production, Sales and Marketing) and external teams (vendors and suppliers) to ensure product delivery dates are met.
- Proactively trouble-shoots issues regarding fabric characteristics, technical construction, product testing, fit, packaging, and functionality vs. style details.
- Assists Design team with tech packs and the garment’s construction specifications during initial development by reviewing, making suggestions, and monitoring timelines. Owns tech pack updates after SMS PO’s are issued and design intention is met.
- After Designers send out initial tech pack and ensure factory understanding, the Product Developer communicates with factories to ensure timely development of proto-types, salesman samples, and pre-production samples.
- Maintains tracking of seasonal progress, utilizing WIPs, for associated approvals of all samples (proto-types, SMS, and Pre-Production samples), trims and fabrics. Evaluates submittals to ensure prAna’s quality standards are met.
- In collaboration with Design, Merchandising and Tech Design teams, the Senior Product Developer guides and monitors garment fit process to ensure “intended fit” is met and meets prAna’s strategies for consistency and best possible sell-through.
- Guides and monitors lab dip approval processes in conjunction with Color Specialist.
- Proactively tracks and monitors artwork/print development and approval processes in conjunction with Graphic Designer and Designer.
- Executes cost process by negotiating and tracking cost submittals from factories. Aims to achieve specific margin goals for each product set by the Merchandising team.
- Inputs relevant data to Cost Datasheet & presents cost/vendor options to Merchandise Manager & Designer.
- Builds, inputs, and maintains Full Circle (Product Lifecycle Management system) with current colors, bill of materials, costing, and technical sketches. Logs pertinent information throughout the season and streamlines item-coding process.
- Counter-sources products to effectively build products at the best cost, quality, and compliance.
- In collaboration with Design, Merchandising and Tech Design teams, the Product Developer guides and monitors garment fit process to ensure “intended fit” is met and meets prAna’s strategies for consistency and best possible sell-through.
- In conjunction with the Merch team, maintains product specifications for workbook, catalog, and on-line launches.
- May deliver category presentations at sales meetings and is a liaison for further product learning, as needed.
- Tracks and develops SMU styles according to seasonal requests.
- Evaluates fabric and garment test reports to determine if further testing &/or revisions to fabric/garment need to be made.
- Sets and maintains seasonal care label instructions based on fabric/garment qualities and end use.
- Maintains trim and label archive.
- Travels to factories as needed.
- Reviews, evaluates, and is pro-active in regards to QC issues at time of salesman samples and Production, and communicates findings to Design, Sales and Production teams.
- Mentors Associate &/or Assistant Product Developers to become longstanding prAna employees with limitless potential.
- Utilizes versatile skill set to perform work in additional product categories as needed.
Cross-functional interaction with all departments of prAna to 1- deliver the highest quality product in our market, and 2- communicate the product attributes & vision. This includes: providing marketing with pre-launch items; training Sales team on product lines; incorporating Production into product life cycle; reviewing product presentations on web and catalogs; interacting with distribution center to review quality issues & expectations; training Customer Service in product attributes; reviewing consumer & prAna store feedback and responding to inquiries; and collaborating with Merchandising team to analyze return rate reports and enhance carry-over products.
- Makes thoughtful daily decisions to maintain high levels of standards in quality – from development to production.
- Participates in evaluating daily/seasonal processes in Product Development and how we interact with other teams.
Maintains knowledge of industry trends and current events to align prAna’s product line with industry progress and growth, as well as, company goals and strategies.
- Shops the current market (comp shopping & trade shows) for competitive garments, techniques, fabrics/trims, fit and assortment.
- Provides input to Merchandising team to maintain a well-balanced product offering with consistency across divisions and within categories.
- Provides input to Design team in creating the best product possible, aligning with prAna’s strategies and seasonal vision.
Environmental Health & Safety
Understands and works within prAna’s standards of Environmental Health & Safety and how it relates to our employees & consumers, based on: vendor requirements, bluesign certified fabrics, sustainable fibers, RSL (Restricted Substances List), Fair Trade program, and social compliance.
- Develops and applies depth of knowledge in prAna’s Environmental Health & Safety program and how it relates to our daily decision-making, the suppliers we work with, social compliance, and what it means to our consumer.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Apparel &/or Textile Product Development, Merchandising or Design is required
- 4+ years industry experience in Product Development for Technical Outerwear.
- Extensive knowledge of technical apparel construction, fabrics (knits & wovens) & their properties, and trims in the following (Men’s, Women’s &/or Accessories) categories: Outerwear, Mid-Layer, Performance, Activewear, Swimwear, Lifestyle, Sweaters, Dresses, Accessories
- Extensive knowledge of technical outerwear applications and details including, but not limited to: Durable Water Repellence (DWR), laminates, coatings, membranes, bonding, goose and duck down, synthetic insulation, quilting, baffling, taping, welding, and laser cutting
- Understanding of supply chain transparency and compliance
- Experience travelling internationally &/or domestically to evaluate vendor execution
- Experience in costing and negotiating
- Experience working on OIA Task Force (Down Task Force, Recycled Contents Task Force or Traceability Task Force) a plus
- Working knowledge of: PDM systems, Word, Excel, Adobe Illustrator, SharePoint
- Must be able to travel internationally up to 2 times annually
Employee must be able to perform essential functions of position with our without reasonable accommodations.
**Please note: All candidates will be subject to a pre-offer background check which may include, depending on position requirements, criminal history, credit history, driving record, employment verification, education and reference check.
prAna is an Equal Employment Employer