For the sixth year running, Respect The Mountains produced the Envirotrek Clean Up Series, in co-operation with KEEN Footwear. As a result of these eight events this summer, the campaign generated:
- 1220 hands-on, Clean Up hours by 613 mountain tourists and locals;
- 5120 kilos of waste which included 459 garbage bags, scrap metals, car tires, car doors and more;
- Across 6 different European countries during the summer holiday season;
- Awareness to both other holiday makers and locals in 9 locations.
There are estimated to be 100 million visitors in the European Alps each year, which presents a huge challenge in preserving these mountain environments. There is a growing need to provide necessary awareness campaigns to ensure mountain tourists are aware of the pressures that these popular holiday destinations are under. To give back to these nature areas, Respect the Mountains organises the Envirotrek Clean Up Series: hikes to enjoy nature and help her by – simply – cleaning up. A simple way of giving back that is enjoyable and effective.
Respect the Mountains awareness reached more mountain tourists and provided essential awareness to a wider tourist audience. Together Respect the Mountains and KEEN Footwear are committed to caring for European Mountain areas, so that future generations can enjoy these special environments.
Respect the Mountains was also supported by Barefoot Wine, Bergans of Norway and our local partners and volunteers. Respect the Mountains and partners look forward to Envirotrek 2015!
Locations of Envirotrek Clean Up Series 2014
- Freiburg, Germany
- Eifel, Germany
- Landgraaf, The Netherlands
- Schoorl, The Netherlands
- Mayrhofen- Hippach, Austria
- Cesky Raj, Czech Republic
- Samoëns, France
- North Wales, United Kingdom
- Lake District, United Kingdom
Respect the Mountains
1013 BC Amsterdam
Joanne Wissink – Emvirotrek Manager
Image courtesy Respect the Mountains