The Game, Fish & Parks Department is reminding campers that the end of the summer doesn’t mean the end of camping at South Dakota state parks as the parks will continue taking camping reservations throughout the winter months.
“We now take reservations for stays year-round,” said state park director Doug Hofer. “In the past, camping was on a first-come, first-served basis after Labor Day.”
Campsites and cabins at Custer State Park can be reserved up to one year in advance, and up to 90 days prior to arrival at all other campsites and cabins.
Group campsites located at Custer State Park and Lewis and Clark Recreation Area can also be booked one year in advance. Group lodges that can be reserved one year ahead of time include:
• Lake Thompson Recreation Area near Lake Preston
• Mina Lake Recreation Area near Aberdeen
• Newton Hills State Park near Canton
• Oahe Downstream Recreation Area near Fort Pierre
• Palisades State Park near Garretson
• Shadehill Recreation Area near Lemmon
• Sheps Canyon Recreation Area on Angostura Reservoir near Hot Springs
Camping reservations can be made online at www.campsd.com or by calling 1-800-710-2267.
Logo courtesy South Dakota Game, Fish & Parks Department